In the event a student’s immediate and/or close family member dies, the following steps will be taken in order to best support the student:
- Upon hearing of a family member’s death, the faculty or staff will inform the student that they (the faculty/staff) will inform CARE and the student’s advisor.
- The faculty or staff should then submit a CARE Referral Form at tinyurl.com/GCCCARE
- CARE will respond by notifying the student’s advisor and the Counseling and Wellness Center
- Advisor and Counseling staff will each reach out to student
- Card from the Chief of Student Affairs will be mailed to student**
*Offices bound by laws of confidentiality, such as the Counseling and Wellness Center, will not disclose information unless a student’s written permission is given.
**The Chief Student Affairs Officer will take additional actions such as notifying the Chief of Staff or attending a funeral, as deemed appropriate or necessary