Peer Leadership at Guttman
Apply to be a Peer Leader
Student Leadership Development
Student Leadership Development is a series of workshops during the summer, before you begin working at Guttman, as well as ongoing professional development throughout the year. The workshops are geared to enhance your leadership, teambuilding, and role-specific sills related to your job performance.
Guttman Peer Leaders support the transition from high school to college and coach students throughout their educational career at Guttman. If you are academically focused, would like to get involved at Guttman in a deeper way, and enjoy assisting your peers inside and outside of the classroom, you should apply to be a Peer Mentor!
A Guttman Peer Leader is:
- A confidant, guide, academic resource, coach, role model, and friend.
- Entrusted with facilitating the care, support, and learning of new and continuing students.
- Knowledgeable about campus resources, policies, and culture.
- Willing to share information, experiences, and accomplishments in a non-competitive way.
- Open, understanding, and approachable.
What we’re looking for in a Peer Leader:
- Awareness of the Peer Leader Position: Knowledge of the position’s responsibilities.
- Communication: Do you know when to speak up and when to listen?
- Team Work: Can you work to accomplish tasks within a group of team members?
- Leadership & Maturity: Do you take initiative? Are you a strong peer role model?
- Critical Thinking: Are you able to see issues from multiple perspectives?
- Cultural Competency: Are you encouraging and supportive toward others’ cultures, identities, and beliefs?
- Time Management: Can you appropriately prioritize and balance tasks and time restrictions?
In order to qualify for a Peer Leader position, you must:
- Have completed 1 semester at a CUNY institution by the start of appointment on August 14, 2023.
- Be a full-time CUNY student during the Fall 23 semester (students graduating mid-year may apply).
- Have a >2.75 cumulative and >2.5 semester grade point average or higher.
- All Peer Leaders must maintain the required cumulative/semester GPA to maintain employment.
In order to be eligible to be hired as a Peer Leader, students must:
- Have a valid Social Security Card; and
- Have the proper work authorization required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). See the full list of acceptable documents.
If you have questions or concerns about your work authorization status, please contact the Guttman Office of Human Resources at 646-313-8177.
Please note that in order to accept a Peer Leader position you must participate in all training days.
- Applicants must be available to attend Student Leadership Development (SLD) sessions 10am-5pm, Monday-Friday(August 14-18). *dates subject to change*
All training days are mandatory. Trainings are paid, and lunch provided daily.
- Peer Leaders will work 12 hours per week beginning August 21, 2023.
- Some periods of time will require greater staffing, including evenings and weekends.
This is a part-time position that is compensated in the following ways:
- Ongoing professional development opportunities including conference/workshop attendance.
- Networking and mentoring opportunities with Guttman/CUNY faculty and administrative professionals.
- An hourly wage of $15.
A completed online application includes:
- 3 Short Answer Responses
- 2 Professional References (name & contact information only – please do not submit reference letters). References should be current or former faculty, staff, supervisors, or advisors who can speak to your leadership abilities and qualifications for the Peer Mentor position.
Upload your updated résumé:
As part of your application, upload your current résumé. Only PDF files will be accepted.
Please use the following format to name your file: Last.First.Resume (ex: Martinez.Juan.Resume).
Email your unofficial transcript:
As part of your application, Email your most recent unofficial transcript. Only PDF files will be accepted.
Please use the following format to name your file: Last.First.Transcript (ex: Marinez.Juan.Transcript).
Application Deadline: April 21st at 5:00 pm!
Please note these important dates in the application process.
Save the date for the Group Process (5/6) and Individual Interviews (5/12) as they are required in order to advance in the process.
Applications Available Online: Wednesday, March 6th 2023
Access the application and full position descriptions at: www.guttman.cuny.edu/peerleadership.
Nomination Period: February 24 – March 24, 2023
Faculty and staff can nominate students to apply for a Peer Leader position. Nominees will receive a personalized email encouraging them to submit a Peer Leader application! Receiving a nomination does NOT exempt students from submitting all required application materials. Please note that students do NOT need to be nominated in order to apply. Access the nomination form here: Nomination Form
Information Sessions & Recruitment Fair: Multiple Days and Time (See Below)
Presentations about the role will be facilitated by professional staff and current Peer Leaders. Attendance at an information session is highly recommended for anyone who is considering applying for a position.
Information Sessions: Room 004 (Lower Level)
- Thursday, March 16, 2023, 5:00PM-6:00PM
- Friday, March 17, 2023, 11:00AM-12:00PM
- Tuesday, March 21, 2023, 6:00PM-7:00PM
- Monday, March 27, 2023, 12:00PM-1:00PM
- Thursday, April 6, 2023, 3:00PM – 4:30PM, Atrium
Applications Due: Friday, April 21st, 2023 by 5:00 pm
All application materials must be submitted electronically by the deadline and can be accessed at via Handshake.
Group Process: Saturday, May 6th 2023
Invited applicants are required to participate in a Saturday group interview process from 10am – 1pm
Individual Interviews: Friday, May 12th 2023
Invited applicants are required to participate interview sessions. Interviews are scheduled to last between 20 and 30 minutes. You will receive further details via email in your individual interview invitation. Some individuals may be called upon for a follow up interview.
Decision Letters Sent: Friday, May 26th, 2023
Decision letters will be emailed to your Guttman or CUNY email account. You will receive a letter whether or not you are offered a position.
Stop by Student Life Office (004) or email StudentLife@guttman.cuny.edu.
Nominate Students for a Peer Leader Position!
Faculty & staff may nominate outstanding Guttman and CUNY students to apply for a 2023-2024 Peer Leader position. Nominees will receive a personalized email and/or nomination card encouraging them to attend an upcoming information session and submit an application. Nomination period: February 22nd – March 24, 2023. Students do NOT need to be nominated in order to apply for a position. Access the nomination form here: Nomination Form